Monday, February 23, 2009

The High-Speed Gear Doors

The original plan was to add an after-market product from Precise Flight called Speed Brakes. This equipment allows rapid descent from altitude without shock cooling the engine. Fortunately, Aviation Research did the original certification of these speed brakes on the Bonanza and they shared their experience with me before I installed them. On the older Bonanza, there is significant vibration when the speed brakes are deployed due to the wing design of the Bonanza. Jerry at Aviation Research advised me that I would be probably be happier with a kit to allow the extension of the landing gear at significantly increased airspeed. So the High Speed Gear Door kit was ordered and installed. Little did I know that installing this kit is a major project.

So many days later the new gear doors are fitted and installed. With this modification, I will be able to extend the landing gear at 145 MPH (125 Knots), with a placarded emergency gear extension speed of 175 MPH (150 Knots). The original gear extension speed was 123 MPH (105 Knots). Better than speed brakes and just as effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment